Thursday Thirteen banner courtesy of Samulli
13 EID ESCAPADES
Dubai is within hopping distance of places that people pay thousands to visit and the city’s travel agents offer some incredible deals over Eid, the end of Ramadan also most popularly known as the three day long weekend. Here are 13 of the wonderful destinations within our reach.
1. Amman, Jordan – 250 km out of the city, in a seemingly different world, you could see one of the seven wonders of the world! Petra is the breath stealing ‘rose city’ carved out of sandstone. It’s within our doorstep – a must see for Dubaians!
Flight time from Dubai: 2 hours 55 minutes.
Three nights @ Dhs1,157 from Air Arabia Holidays
2. Cairo, Egypt– People in Dubai must be tired of seeing things nothing older than cheddar everyday. It’s time to head to the cradle of civilization! The pyramids are there, the Nile and the museums that is home to the most extensive collection of Egyptian relics in the world including the mask of baby-faced Pharaoh Tutankhamun.
Flight time from Dubai: 3 hours 50 minutes.
Three nights @ Dhs1,445 from White Sands
3. Damascus, Syria– Where souks are actual trading posts rather than a marketing jargon, history is everywhere and there’s not a shopping mall or a giant ski slope in sight. For a suitable historical lunch in one of the world’s oldest cities, head to Beit Jabri, which hasn’t changed much since it was cobbled together in 1737.
One interesting fact is that the streets of the city, with the exception of the street called “Straight” (mentioned in the Bible in Acts 9:11) on which Saint Paul is supposed to have lived, are crooked and narrow.
Flight time from Dubai: 3 hours and 15 minutes.
Seven nights @ Dhs1,450 from Net Tours
4. Istanbul, Turkey– Istanbul is just a short flight away. Sultanahmet is the most beautiful part of the city, it’s cobbled streets clogged up with historical carpet shops and cafes.
Flight time from Dubai: 4 hours and 25 minutes.
Three nights @ Dhs1,065 from Net Tours
5. Male, The Maldives– Because sometimes, just sometimes, you deserve a little bit of paradise. As simple as that! With one of the most stunning tropical seascapes in existence, snorkeling, diving and night fishing are all must for visitors.
Flight time from Dubai: 7 hours.
Three nights @ Dhs3,500 from DNATA Holidays
6. Valletta, Malta– Lying in the heart of the Mediterranean just south of Sicily, Malta is often derided as a cheap package destination for lager-loving sun-seekers. The Maltese capital of Valletta is a UNESCO World Heritage site, with cathedrals, lush gardens and colonnaded squares linked by honey-coloured streets.
Flight time from Dubai: 7 hours and 25 minutes.
Three nights @ Dhs3,060 from Kanoo Holidays
7. Salalah, Oman– Explore the mossy cliffs and limestone caves, and drive along the coast to Al Mughsayl Blowholes, where nature shoots sea water 30 metres into the air. If you have time, drive out of town to the recently discovered Lost City of Ubar.
Flight time from Dubai: 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Three nights @ Dhs1,130 from Kanoo Holidays
8. Musandam, Oman– The Musandam Peninsula is the northernmost part of Oman. This area is an exclave region of Oman that is separated from the rest of the country by the United Arab Emirates. Rugged mountains rise out of fjords in the Strait of Hormuz. Tourist cruise by dhow to dive, snorkel and watch dolphins.
Flight time from Dubai: Actually just a couple of hours by car from Dubai!
9. Athens, Greece– During the day, you can clock up tourist points at the ruins of Agora – the central business district of ancient Greece, before hiking up the Acropolis to the stunning pillars of the Parthenon. If you are fond of historical sites, Athens simple can’t be beaten.
Flight time from Dubai: 4 hours and 55 minutes.
Three nights @ Dhs2,632 from White Sands
10. Bangkok, Thailand – Because the food will remind your taste buds what they are there for!
Flight time from Dubai: 6 hours and 10 minutes.
Three nights @ Dhs1,613 from White Sands
11. Singapore – See the unrivalled assets of Singapore from the beautiful beaches, to the Parks and Reserves, Botanical Gardens or simply stroll around one of the cleanest city in the world. A tourist and travel hub that is one of the recognized tourist destinations in Asia.
Flight time from Dubai: 7 hours and 20 minutes.
Three nights @ Dhs2,110 from Etihad Holidays
12. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia – If Bangkok is frazzled, frenetic and slightly frisky, and Singapore is clean, calm and just a tiny bit controlled, then Kuala Lumpur sits somewhere in the middle. From the colours and scents of Little India to the hustle and bustle of Chinatown, Kuala Lumpur is a pulsating but playful city that is a must see for everyone.
Flight time from Dubai: 7 hours and 15 minutes.
Three nights @ Dhs1,925 from Etihad Holidays
13. Zurich, Switzerland– This German speaking Swiss city is brimming with affluence, intellect and night clubs. The renowned Kunsthaus Zurich is by far the best art gallery in Switzerland.
Flight time from Dubai: 6 hours and 40 minutes.
Three nights @ Dhs3,352 from Emirates Holidays
* Dhs1 = US$0.2724; ** Promo for Eid Holidays only (October 11-13, 2007); *** Price information from Dubai Timeout Magazine