I must admit, even with exciting things going on and being built in the UAE’s capital city of Abu Dhabi, the at least 2 hours drive gets to me. There’s a public transport (bus) but not really an option for many people and as of this writing, there is no railway system that connects Dubai and Abu Dhabi.
But who needs the usual railway system when there’s the option of The Hyperloop One!
Today Hyperloop One announced a historic agreement with the Roads and Transport Authority in Dubai to study high-speed routes that reduce travel time between Abu Dhabi and Dubai to 12 minutes. Here’s a video to see it in motion.
The nitty gritty details of the Hyperloop
- Hyperloop is a proposed method of travel that would transport people at 740mph (1,200km/h) between distant locations.
- It was unveiled by Elon Musk in 2013, who said it could take passengers the 380 miles (610km) from LA to San Francisco in 30 minutes – half the time it takes a plane.
- It is essentially a long tube that has had the air removed to create a vacuum.
- The tube is suspended off the ground to protect against weather and earthquakes.
- Passengers would sit in either individual or group pods, which would then be accelerated with magnets.
- Capsules carrying six to eight people would depart every 30 seconds.
The Hyperloop One is a very futuristic transport system that promises BIG – Dubai to Abu Dhabi in 12 minutes instead of 2 hours! I like it! I know that sounds like a scene from a science fiction movie but in this part of the world where the ‘impossible’ is always challenged…you know what will happen next.
When we arrived in the UAE in 2007 and the Dubai Metro was still under construction, we vowed not to leave Dubai until it completes. The Hyperloop One is said to be realized in five years time – I guess we’ll be staying till then?